Designed by Melissa of knittingthestash
Texture and movement are two of my favorite things about knitted fabric. The Ziggy Hat captures both! The zig-zag pattern looks complex, but adventurous beginners can achieve the knitting techniques used. The 1x1 cables can easily be worked without a cable needle. A folded brim—with built-in ribbing—will keep you toasty in the winter winds. The hat is stretchy and available in three circumferences: 17 (19.5, 22).” It’s intended to be worn with approximately 2” of negative ease. The main pattern is charted and written; the crown decreases are written, but not charted. Video tutorial links are included.
Sample hat (in the photos) is a size Medium, knit with one skeinof Shorn IV.
The size Small/Medium Kit includes one skein of Shorn IV yarn for $28; the size Large Kit include two skeins of Shorn IV yarn for $51. Both kits include a coupon code to download your pattern PDF from the knittingthestash website and a fun stitch marker.
Ziggy Hat KIT
- Sizes: 17 (19.5, 22)” [43 (50, 56) cm] circumference; 8 (8, 9.25)” [20 (20, 23.5)cm] height (with folded brim)
- Needles: US size 5 (3.75mm) or size to obtain gauge, with a cord log enough for magic loop (36” or 40”). If you use magic loop, you may still need DPNs to finish the decreases and closure at the top of the hat.
- Notions: 7 (8, 9) stitch markers, tapestry needle, cable needle (optional)
- Gauge in zig-zag pattern: 23 sts & 35 rnds / 4”
- Yarn: 250 (250, 300) yds of a DK weight yarn. Pattern created for Shorn IV, 250yds / 3.5oz per skein